Wednesday, June 15th marks the 6th Annual World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. The mission of this special day is to raise awareness of the cultural, social, economic and demographic processes affecting elder abuse and neglect.
Elder abuse, like other forms of violence, is never an acceptable response to any problem or situation. Early intervention and education are the keys to preventing elder abuse. Anyone can fight elder abuse by:
1. Calling or visiting an elderly loved one and ask how he or she is doing
2. Providing a respite break for a caregiver
3. Asking your bank manager to train tellers on how to detect elder financial abuse
4. Speaking to community advocates about the problem.
5. Learning the warning signs of abuse – visit http://www.centeronelderabuse.org/.
6. IF YOU KNOW OR SUSPECT THAT A VULNERABLE ADULT HAS BEEN OR IS BEING ABUSED, NEGLECTED AND/OR EXPLOITED IMMEDIATELY REPORT THE INFORMATION TO THE ABUSE HOTLINE: 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873).
Thank you for helping to keep our seniors safe!