Our office is always seeking new ways to get information out on how to seniors can live better lives. Safety is one topic that needs reminding occasionally. There are several ways criminals try to exploit seniors. One of the most common ways is by stealing your identity. Her are some tips on how to minimize your chances of falling victim to the unscrupulous.
- Use a shredder to destroy any important papers that you wish to dispose of.
- Don’t put outgoing mail in an unsecured mailbox.
- Don’t carry too many credit cards.
- Don’t share personal information on the phone or internet with anyone that you don’t know.
- Use virus software protection and enable firewall settings on your computer.
- Review your credit report annually-report any errors or questionable entries.
- Never give out your Social Security Number to someone you don’t know.
- Never give out your Medicaid ID Number to someone you don’t know.
If you suspect that you or a senior you know has been exploited, below are some resources:
- Florida Abuse Hotline: 1-800-96-ABUSE
- Florida Elder Help Line: 1-900-963-5337
- Elder Consumer Protection Program: www.elder.law.stetson.edu
- National Center on Elder Abuse: www.ncea.aoa.gov
- Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys: www.afela.org
For more information on issues affecting the seniors in your family, including how to report senior abuse, to learn more about this and other topics, as well as the Elder Care services that we provide under “The Elder Law Umbrella”, call The Law Offices of Alice Reiter Feld and Associates at 954.726.6602 or visit www.florida-elderlaw.com