At the Law offices of Alice Reiter Feld & Associates, we get asked every day about estate planning, long-term care planning, veteran’s benefits, Medicaid (and the difference between Medicaid and Medicare!), protecting assets, protecting your home, wills, trusts, powers of attorney…the list is endless. So we’ve decided to bring the answers to you! This is the first of our “60 Blogs in 60 Days!”
So – to get back to our title – How can the Elder Care Umbrella protect you? (And what the heck is an “Elder Care Umbrella,” anyway?)
The Elder Law Umbrella focuses on protecting the legal needs (and rights!) of seniors – and their families, as well. An effective umbrella has a number of different components – because it has to be comprehensive enough to protect you against any eventuality. To thoroughly protect you, it should address these eventualities – before they become realities.
- Estate Planning & Wills
- Minimizing Estate Taxes
- Wealth & Legacy Preservation/Asset Preservation/Asset Protection Planning
- Long Term Care/Life Care Planning
- Medicaid or Veteran’s Benefits to which you may be entitled
- Assisted Living and Nursing Home Care Placement & Assistance
- Possible incapacity: Alzheimer’s Disease/Dementia Planning. And – very important – caregivers’ support
- Durable Power of Attorney and Health Care Surrogate
- Probate, Trusts, Special Needs Trusts (for example, for handicapped children)
- Estate Planning for Unmarried Partners and Same-Sex Couples/LGBT
- Pre-Crisis Planning and Crisis Planning
In our practice, we sometimes come across people who haven’t effectively protected themselves. And they’ve paid dearly…in some cases, with their life savings and their homes.
Two of every five Americans over 65 will enter a Nursing Home. In 7 out of 10 couples, at least one spouse will need Long Term Care. And nearly 80% of us, believe it or not, now live in “non traditional families” (second marriages, same-sex couples, etc.), which calls for special planning and protecting.
We’ve been practicing Elder Law – and providing our South Florida clients with effective Elder Law Umbrellas – for 33 years. We know every inch of the “Elder Care Journey.” We’ll show you the way. And we’ll fight for what’s yours. With professionalism, with concern, and with understanding.
We’re only a phone call away!