Hospitals are supposed to cure you. And, with an overwhelming majority of their patients, they do. Too many, however, come out of the hospital sicker than before – or in a box – because of circumstances that could have been avoided.
Here are some rules that might help…
* ASK QUESTIONS! Ask the doctors, ask the nurses, and ask anyone else caring for you. And if you can’t understand their answers…ask again!
* Educate yourself – before you’re there, and while you’re there. Most hospitals have brochures and pamphlets about your condition.
* You have the right to ask for a second opinion! It’s your life we’re talking about here. A good doctor will not take offense.
* If medicine is prescribed, ask about it. What it is. How it works. And – very important – possible side-effects. You can request a printout explaining these things in detail.
* Your nurses are not your servants. Treat them with respect, and you’ll get the same thing back. And recognize that they’re asking you to do things – for example, getting out of bed – for your own good.
* If you need help, ask for it. This is not the time to play hero.
* ASK STAFF TO WASH THEIR HANDS – THOROUGHLY! Before you let someone touch you, ask them to wash their hands. And make sure they’re wearing gloves. This is one of the best ways to avoid getting a nasty infection…or worse!
The thought of going into the hospital can be very scary…especially for a senior. But we can help.
At The Law Offices of Alice Reiter Feld & Associates, we’ve been answering questions about hospitals for the past 34 years. We’ve answered them for thousands of South Florida seniors and their families….and we’ve helped them navigate the Medical Maze. And we’ve prepared them for life after the hospital, too, with comprehensive estate planning, wills, trusts, powers of attorney, long-term care planning, asset-protection plans, and assistance with Medicaid and the VA.
We can help you, too. And we’re just a phone call away.